Wednesday, April 04, 2007

upskilling, is that a word?

Back when I could understand algebra, calculus and differential equations, I knew nothing of their value.
Now understand some of their value, I can`t do them.
I learnt French at school , dropping it for German at the first opportunity, years later I had to do French all over again in order to emigrate to Canada. Since arrival I have barely bumped into anybody who can speak it( including all of the recent high shool graduates, who presumably dropped it for chinese or something more relevant), and thouh several TV channels are exclusively French they seem to be Quebecois which is different again.
I sat an exam recently with a whole section of simple algebra, the algebra has not changed in X years but my brain is full of more useful stuff like jingles for Sleep Country Canada, and I wonder why buy a matress anywhere else?
The new job has dragged me into the 1990`s , writing reports on keyboards, my mid twenties colleagues have use of all ten digits at bewildering speed, rather humbling my" index finger of the other hand if I want to look good" style.
Many comments later, we are going back in time to university were at one point, after about 20 free lessons, I tentatively , could slowly, TOUCH TYPE!
I am going to buy "Typing of the dead" on e bay , from which the excellently small graphic.
Essentially it`s killing zombies by typing the on screen digits before it takes your head off.
Moving into the digital age..................

No comments: