Monday, November 06, 2006

immigrant by numbers

A few days ago the numbers came out for the 2005 immigration wave, the one we were part of!
Appart from ourselves , there were 5,863 other people from the UK ( not withstanding that my better half is Irish).
The Uk reached no 7. in the top ten countries, previously we were outside the "big ten", so I suppose that is an improvement.
The top ten nations provided 144,447 out of a total of 262,236 for the year!
Canada like most countries plays around with its immigrant numbers in various classes to appear to be fair to everyone and to quote at election time.
Obviously most rich nations take cases of asylum, which is as it should be, family members, skilled workers( us apparently), entrepeneurs, and famous people, all in varying numbers.
There do not appear to be readily available statistics for those whom have emigrated from Canada.
Some things I know: It is not that easy to get in as a skilled worker from the UK, I had to sit exams in English as well as French!
I had to demonstrate a long work history and reach a reasonable education level.
I had to chop down several trees to provide all the documentation.
I am glad to be here.
I cannot vote until I am a citizen which will take three years, unless I join the army in which case that may get accelerated .
I may be eligible to join the army soon if Canada raises the max entry age from 35 to 42 which the US is considering doing shortly.
China provided the most people at 42,291, (will have to try to learn chinese at some level).
India was in second place at 33,146.( I already know a few words in Urdu).
US was No.5 with 9,262 ( my American English is fine).
France was No.10 with 5,430 ( still working on it).
Over 100,000 came from Elsewere.
Car insurance sucks, later.................

No comments: