Sunday, July 30, 2006

Hitchiking immigrant

Many years ago, when I listened to the radio a LOT I randomly tuned into 'The Hitchikers Guide To the Galaxy'.
Many years later I hitchiked in the UK and Europe, travelling randomly with complete strangers, telling stories, listening to stories, meeting people prepared to take a risk to help others.
When I had my first car, and commuted regularly between London and Leeds, I would go out of my way to pick up hitchikers ( the radio could not be heard over the 1200cc vw engine so I had to find something to do for 4 hours).
My wife and I have travelled a lot, and met a lot of great people and you realise very quickly that there are certain truths....
1. I am probably not immortal.
2. This is a very big planet.
3. I will never be given what I want, I have to work towards it.
4. I may not be sure what I want, but I know the Hitchikers of the world will have ideas.
WE EMIGRATED, newly arrived in town I thought I would see if I can write a blog (I know my better half can).
Citizen***146 is a reference to the competitor number for a short triathlon, a habit that I am keen to continue next summer.
Things I have done recently in Canada that I could not do at home:
Watched the Superbowl live, in a bar, during the day!
Watched le Tour de France live, not in a bar, before going to work.
Drunk huge volumes of weak coffee daily.( thank you Tim Horton)
Grown tomatoes OUTSIDE!
Cruised a 16 lane highway, drinking coffee in a vehicle with more than four cylinders.
Picked up some words that you dont get in the UK ... 'winterise', 'line-up' 'the following programme may contain scenes of nudity or violence', 'awesome'
So tomorrow will see if I can write a blog, 90 days is the first hurdle I hear, and HEY! lets be careful out there.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

90 days? Or is it...42??
Welcome to Blogland.

citizen***146 said...

You are of course right, 42 would appear to be the answer to everything. I am reading a novel at present-"all the flowers are dying" the latest in a long line(perhaps the last) about New York, the 90 comes from AA , in the book(not myself yet)!

Sandra said...

Oh! Did you undelete me?